Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Sauteed Veggie Quinoa



Click here for the original link.


I love this recipe!! I added more to the original recipe. If I made the original recipe, I am sure I would love it just as much! I love fresh garlic and I love onions and corn!! Since I love all of that I added more to the recipe. I also added some spam into it, because I like spam and I wanted some meat. You definitely don’t have to add spam. I understand there are some people who either don’t know what it is or doesn’t enjoy it. But I grew up in Hawaii and for some reason (there’s an actual reason for it), it’s really popular in Hawaii.

This recipe gave me two bowls, and I ate alone. If you are looking for something that you want to make for yourself and you aren’t planning to have anything else for the meal, then this will be good for you.

I think next time I make this dish, I need more cremini mushrooms and onions. Hope you will enjoy this dish as much as I did.

Here’s what I put in it:


Ingredients:

½ cup of dry quinoa
½ tsp of chicken bullion
1 cup of water
3 Cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
¼ sweet onion, chopped
1 cup corn
Small handful of cubed spam (optional)
4 cloves of garlic
salt/pepper to taste
3 tbs butter

Directions:

Bring water, broth, and quinoa to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. 

While the quinoa is cooking, melt the butter in a pan on medium heat. Then add the garlic and let it cook for a minute. Add the onion and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms, corn and spam (if you’re using spam). While that’s cooking, season with salt and pepper. I didn’t add salt, and I’m glad I didn’t. I think my butter was salted. I only added fresh ground pepper.

Turn the heat down to low and add the cooked quinoa and combine flavors for a few minutes. I actually added the veggies into the pot of quinoa. Whatever floats your boat!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment