Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Veggie Quinoa Soup





I want to call this “chicken-less chicken noodle-less quinoa soup” haha!! Just because instead of using vegetable broth for the soup, I used chicken broth. I love this soup!! I think the next time I make it, I’m putting more corn because I LOVE CORN!!! I think I want to add more basil too. But I drank 2 bowls of this soup. It makes about 4 bowls, depending on the size of your bowl. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

Here’s what I had in it:

 

Ingredients:
1 cup water
½ cup quinoa
1 Tbs olive oil
¾ cup onion, diced
3 clove garlic, minced
¾ cup Celery, chopped
¾ cup Corn
¾ cup sweet grape tomatoes, quartered
Half a bell pepper (I used orange for color)
2 cups chicken broth (2 tsps of chicken bouillon and 2 cup water)
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Boil water in a pot. When it boils, add the quinoa. When it comes to a boil, bring down to a simmer for 15 mins or until it softens.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. I added the corn with the onions because I forgot to defrost my corn. If your corn isn’t frozen then add with the celery. Add the garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the corn (if you didn’t already), celery, and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the chicken broth, quartered tomatoes, bell peppers, bay leaves, and basil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the cooked quinoa and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment